How To :: Systems Thinking




Systems Thinking Approach

A 'system' is a whole; it has a beginning and it has an end. Take the computer as an example. It requires input, performs one or more processes, then produces output.

I recall in class at Malone College (Canton, Ohio) working on a survival exercise. It was my first exposure to group dynamics in a formal setting. In analysis mode, if you will. We did the exercise first individually, then at the professor's request, we formed several groups. Of four people, if memory serves.

In case you did not already guess, based on the experts that prepared the exercise, the group results were always better than any one individual's score. That was profound to me then, but more so today. As we look forward, having just arrived at January 1, 2008.

It's relationships, SKI

Much of my formal education (both at Kent State University and Malone College) seemed (to me) to be focused on things. Stuff. Processes. Can you say "boring"? As I have shared before, during college, I felt that nothing could be more boring than manufacturing. Until I landed that first computer consulting gig in 1982 for a manufacturer. Wow! It was never, ever boring.

As a junior cost accountant (they could not afford me simply for data processing, so I had the privilege of performing other functions), performing time studies, I quickly learned the 'people' side of the equation. I still recall the explosion of unrest when we posted those first results of productivity from the new computerized job costing/payroll system.

People can be quite passionate

I hated it then; I love it now. Ever have someone say some to you, "Can't you just ignore it?" The "it" is whatever is wrong with the 'system' you find yourself in at the moment.

No.

I cannot. But one vantage point is not enough. I know that now. And the higher the observation deck, the more likely (not always, but too often) the desire to explain away the seemly minor problems. I recall time studying two operators performing the same task Both were seasoned veterans and very capable individuals. It turned out that one machine was fitted with a longer bar, that allowed its operator to complete the operation in four 'turns', while the other machine's shorter bar required five 'turns'. Obviously not fair.

Pointing this issue out to senior management resulted in no response. Yes, you read that correctly. No action taken. Well, in all fairness, they did suggest that they would look for a longer bar. When I left two years later, as I recall, one machine still had the advantage of a longer bar.

Take another look at the diagram at the top of the page. What does it say about systems thinking? For me, the answer is much clearer today: Everyone has their own problems to solve.

W. Edwards Deming suggested that if you want to know what is wrong with a company, get down to the production floor and ask the people actually performing the manual labor. They may not have all the answers, but they certainly have a unique vantage point. One that you must explore.

That, is a huge component of systems thinking at WWW.THROUGHPUT.US (TPU).

Exploring all vantage points in order to better understand the challenges we as a team face. Of course, once armed with the knowledge of "where we are", someone needs to tells us where we are headed.

The Goal

Eli Goldratt beat us all to the best title for a book about fixing businesses. But the goal is secondary for a business that is "up and running" and meeting needs in the marketplace. Consider H. William Dettmer's "Strategic Navigation." This metaphor works well for me. Perhaps it is my training in FDC (fire direction control) for Uncle Sam's United States Marine Corps. We surveyed the gun placements first, plotting them. Like spending time on the shop floor of a manufacturing company. Then, based on mission parameters, FOs (Forward Observers) would radio in coordinates of the target (the goal).

We spent a lot time studying weather in FDC school at Camp Pendleton. Consider it 'variation' in business world. What direction and force can be attributed to the something as mundane as the wind?

Navigation

My watchword for the new year. This past weekend I had short visit with a friend that owns a private airplane. We flew from Harry Clever field in New Phila up to Salem, Ohio. At 120 knots, we made great time (compared to the automobile I used that last time I made the trip to teach a session in a workshop at a Kent State branch).

But we could not aim the plane directly at Salem. There was a wind out of the west. So we had to navigate a bit into the wind, in order to reach our destination. Business requires no less. To me, business is the ultimate sport. Yes, there are a lot of moving parts. But the potential rewards for "getting it right" are huge!

So, when you are ready to move your business from point "A" to point "B" or some other spot in the marketplace, consider giving me a call. Let's chat. I am always happy to opine on next moves to consider. In fact, fly me in (your treat) and I will give you some options to consider.

If it looks like I can help, I am always willing to put my share of the rewards on a "pay for results" basis. Of course, I am also available for hire on a project basis as well. However, if you are unwilling to consider the system as a whole, I cannot help.

-ski

P.S. I am testing skype for its PC2Mac integration. Give me shout if you see me online: thruputSKI (as in, how do I create more throughput SKI?)...

Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
ski@throughput.us
(330) 432-3533