Strategy & Tactics & Execution




A Systems Approach to Business Strategy
STRATEGIC NAVIGATION
by H. William Dettmer

This book is my bible when it comes to strategy... and a significant influence on tactical issues. Plus, the "rubber meeting the road" of execution. As I have recapped before, I was in a Barnes & Noble in Myrtle Beach, SC when Dettmer called to share his discovery of Col. John Boyd.

If one understands that strategy, tactics and execution are nothing but a holistic project to be managed, it is easier to develop and deploy amazingly effective business plans. Remember that a business plan is nothing more (or less) than a vision of one's future.

As others have pointed out, one's competition is a major consideration in rolling out effective business plans. Without competition, a lot more well intentioned entrepreneurs would be living the "high life" rather than wondering "what went wrong?" It is Dettmer's combination of Goldratt's Theory of Constraints (TOC) and Col. John Boyd's OODA Loop that gave birth to the Constraints Management Model (CMM) and his book on strategy.

I did the wondering thing... and only in the last year came to terms with my own shortcomings in the strategy arena. It has always been easy to treat strategy formulation as a black box kind of exercise where one might "hit" or one might "miss" the right strategy. Then, implementations (tactics) were all over the place. Again, hit or miss. Worse yet: execution!

Now there is an answer as close as your nearest book store (online or otherwise): Dettmer's Strategic Navigation. No more guessing. Those familiar with his work can attest to his thoroughness. He leaves no stone unturned. No sentence, incomplete. No thought, unformed or unexpressed. In other words, it takes for ever to read a Dettmer book!

Thinking is Required

As Dettmer lays out a given paragraph, documenting it in great detail, including much (if not all!) of the ramifications of each and every possible scenario, I find myself rereading most every paragraph. And I am constantly stopping to weigh my thoughts against his in order to fully comprehend the impact on my affairs. Yes. He is that good.

When I launched Throughput.us LLC (TPU) he is one of three calls I placed before "jumping" into yet another adventure. However, do not measure Dettmer by my successes or failures... in the end, it is my application that determines my effectiveness. Or ineffectiveness. But know that if I have any measure of success, it is a huge tribute to the man and his message.

Do unto others

Yet, the best way to learn anything is to teach it to others. And that is one of the great joys of my life: teaching. In fact, my dad asked many years ago, "What are you going to do about the fact that you are a natural born teacher, and the fact that there is no money in teaching?" I looked him in eyes (I recall this like it was yesterday although it has been over 25 years) and said, "Consulting."

Consulting

TPU is about your success. My value in life is exactly proportional to the value I create for others. As Mike Murdock has taught us, my reward is based on the problems that I solve. Not making enough money? Solve bigger problems. Yea, I know... easier said... but I digress.

The success of my business is based 100% on the success of those that I help achieve their dreams. If you happened onto the web site, instead of wasting time wondering why, ask "why not?" Why not pick up the phone and call me? I cannot be interrupted. I refuse to let it happen. I remember when my kids were little and the phone rang at supper time. They thought that a ringing phone must be answered. No. Regardless the time of day (or night) give me a call if you have a question or need my help... or just my thoughts on an important topic.

Every phone has an off switch

When I call it a night, I turn my phone off. Sounds pretty simple, right? I list my phone number on most every post I make now, just in case someone wants to discuss a post at some length. In case someone wants to hire me. It makes it a lot easier to solicit new clients if they have access to me!

My favorite business: the startup. Yes, I have consulted with a few Fortune 1000 companies. But I prefer the privately held business, less than $100mm in sales. No sales? Even better.

When you are ready, the teacher will appear...

1. Check out my three years of posts on my blog:
http://consultski.blogspot.com/

I am still on google's blogger for a lot of reasons... check out the search feature in the upper left corner of the screen (once on the blog). See what I have said on a subject that you know something about. Like "Machine Shop" just to pick an unusual topic.

2. Buy (and read!) my book, Purple Curve Effect:
http://www.applyingcommonsense.com/buynow/

The PDF is just $3 so everyone can have access to the material. It is a personal business leadership guide. I talk about taking charge of your life... making lists, testing theories, getting off the couch and making something happen!

3. Buy (and read!) Dettmer's Strategic Navigation (birthplace of CMM):
http://consultski.blogspot.com/2008/04/constraints-management-model-cmm.html

Then give me a call. Lets make something happen. Together. Soon...


Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
Throughput.us LLC
(330) 432-3533


©2008 Throughput.us LLC