Re$ults for Hire :: The List




Purple Curve Effect — SKI's Throughput on Command
by Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey with Thayer Bennett
foreword by H. William Dettmer



Chapter 4 :: The List

Okay, let’s start creating success by putting this “common sense thing” into action.

A family of four decides to trek from Ohio to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, for a vacation week at the ocean. So, the mom and dad start planning the trip. The kids start telling their friends about the big trip. Six hundred and sixty miles to be exact. That is a long way from home to have forgotten something important. Like the baseball gloves. Or medicine. So, what is the first thing to do, first?

Covey was right: First Things First

Make a List.

I remember writing this in the winter of 2003/2004. As I shared my approach to achieving results, it came time to drop the hammer, chapter four... "The List".

In hindsight, probably should have called the chapter "The Power of the List."

Ever wonder why so little gets done? Not just at the office, but at home, at school. Most everywhere. After the better part of eleven years in South Carolina, I can say with all honesty that we purpose to take life a little slower. More deliberate. That is one of the reasons I moved my family south. Of course the weather was a big part of the decision. The ocean too. But I digress...

Thinking of hiring someone? Consider asking to see their planner. In other words, do they have a list of important projects (or tasks) that must be accomplished? With dates? A goal is not a goal without a due date.

I start most every morning over a Starbucks tall decaf and a note pad. Most often with my iPod (and now, my new iPod touch) blasting the background noises out of earshot. I write down the numbers, one through seven, down the left margin of the page... and then determine what the issues of the day are, that must be accomplished. In order to make money, and more money in the future.

How do you accomplish anything?

In fact, I am considering asking prospects to see their planner before accepting an assignment with them. I am tired of clients not making progress.

90 Days to Reinvent the World

Look, it took God six days to create everything. We ought to be able to make a difference in just ninety days. Seriously. Eli Goldratt used a great example: the lottery.

If you won the power ball lottery for say, $27 million (paid out over the next 20 years), how long do you need to reinvent your life? That is what I thought. About 90 days.

So what are you waiting for?

Get off your @#$ and make something happen.

-ski

P.S. Any initial consultation in the USA is free. Just provide T&E.

P.P.S. I am serious, "no list", no SKI.

----
Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
ski@throughput.us
(330) 432-3533

© 2008 Jeff SKI Kinsey. All rights reserved.