How Big is Too Big?

SKI speaks on the Perfect Gig


"I've been following you on the web..."

"And I wondered if we could talk about a possible position I have open for a Constraints Management consultant?"

You have to love those phone calls. My response, "Sure!"

But as it turned out, it was for a publicly traded entity. Not my cup of tea. It is not about size, but it has everything to do with control. If one were to properly chart "command and control" in a public "for profit" business, it is my opinion that you would find a large number of disconnects.

"Tell me how you measure me, and I will show you my performance."

Makes perfect sense, however, it is anything but common practice where the focus is on "making the quarterly numbers." Especially in this economic climate.

Let me remind my readers of the perfect gig (at least to me):

  • Private USA "for profit" corporation
  • All locations within continental USA
  • Might be a startup with some funding
  • Might be first or second generation, family owned
  • Might be manufacturing or distribution or retail
  • Gross annual revenue < $100MM
Sound boring? Great. Companies that fit this mold are anything but... yet, I can understand your thinking so. Again, "big" is not measured simply in terms of revenues or workforce, I love to seek out those companies with big opportunity for growth. Maybe a "turn around" opportunity.

As I write this, I am in Northeast Ohio for an extended period. The best candidates for my services are located here as well. But Hilton Head Island, Las Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale might work as well. With enough incentive (can you say Cash?) a lot of other spots might make sense too.

But here is the sixty-four thousand dollar ($64,000.00) question:

"Hey SKI, we have done a lot of things right, but do not seem able to break through. In fact, sales are headed in the wrong direction. Profit margins too. We have a great workforce, and we know that lay offs are wrong, but we just don't know what to do. Can you help?"

Yes. I can help.

See, business is a lot like a game of chess.

You have to "see" several moves into the future. Think. Think some more, in fact, think a lot more before taking action. Know what might happen if you choose a given strategy. Know what happens if you select a different strategy. Know the possibilities that might result from the merging of two or more strategies. Know what tactics might make sense. Know what variations in implementation might be required. But I digress...

The more one is willing to think logically, the better the results.

Need help? Call me.


Jeff 'SKI' Kinsey, Jonah
Throughput.us LLC
ski@throughput.us
(330) 432-3533

P.S. Remember (and never forget!) my definition of throughput: more money in your pocket now, and even more money in your pockets in the future.


©2008 Throughput.us LLC. All rights reserved.